Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween-10-31-11

Tuesday 10-25-11
Today we had a meeting at the V.C. to break the big news to the zone. We told them about the boundary changes, the new zones and the new companionships. Their reaction wasnt as dramatic as I originally anticipated. Oh well. We ate dinner with the Guarneros' and had elder maddox tell them goodbye - we taught Hector and set up a time to meet him at the visitors center this friday - that'll be great for him. He really needs to feel the spirit more. His house is nuts. We spent a good part of the night packing - Elder Maddox is gone. R.I.P.

10-26-11
I got my new companion today. Elder Matheson - from Lindon, UT. He's a really good guy. He's been out for a year - in the ghetto. It should be a fun time and I know we will get a ton of work done. We went to his zone leader training and then went to the hospital in beverly hills to give a blessing. The man that needed the blessing was driving his truck through L.A. and started to feel chest pains. He went to the hospital and checked himself in, then had a heart attack. It's a miracle he's alive. He and his wife are from arizona. It was a real spiritual experience helping them out today - they will remain in my prayers.

10-27-11
I called a Zone Leadership Meeting today with the district leaders. We started to plan the zone goal for november - we are starting from scratch as last months wasn't as successful as we would have liked. We went to Malibu afterwards and had a weekly planning session in the mountains - it was so nice. We went to pepperdine afterwards to visit our friends there. We ate dinner with the Barahona's and then called it a day. I feel like i've just been driving for the past 2 days..

10-28-11
The district meetings went well today. We are starting to plan everything for zone conference in a couple weeks so we are putting together some musical numbers... since we have 1000 sisters in our zone... why not? They'll do great. I realized that I have to speak in the spanish wards sacrament meeting this sunday... and I don't speak spanish or have time to write a talk. Some of the sisters helped me to get it written. We were waiting at the V.C. for Hector to come.. and guess who showed up? David Archulletta walked in the door while we were just standing there. I guess he goes there sometimes to use the bathroom and change before he goes into the temple. He's really short. He said hello and walked out.. I guess the sisters see him quite a bit. Anyway, Hector loved the V.C. and said he wants to take his family there. The sister that helped us with the tour did such an amazing job - I just kept thinking of sara the whole time - she'll be amazing. We had a lesson with William afterwards - he's getting so close...

10-29-11
We had another zone leadership meeting to finalize plans for the zone goal. To honor thanksgiving we are calling the goal 'Torchin' Tommy'... it's all about using the numbers you get everyday to 'cook your turkey'.. we have a picture of a turkey and a thermometer for every companionship. As they fulfil their daily goals, they will receive points... which will heat up the turkey and raise the thermometer.. anyway, should be good. We met Israel and taught him the word of wisdom.. he's been baptized for about 3 months but apparently wasn't taught very clearly.. he's struggling with some things. We met with William again and taught him the 10 commandments - he loved it. He really is doing everything he can to get an answer.. we just have to be patient I guess.

10-30-11
Well I gave my talk in sacrament.. in spanish.. it was pretty ok I guess. I wasn't too nervous - the sisters did most of the work when they wrote it ha. We all sang too - so that was good. We went over to the singles ward - they informed me that today is 'our meeting with the baptists'.... 3 or 4 times a year the singles ward and a baptist church in L.A., go to one anothers' meetings. They help eachother in the community alot .. I guess it's called 'a partnership'.. ? New to me. Anyway, we had sacrament with a family ward, sunday school by ourselves and then a special meeting with the baptists. Their choir sang a few songs.. it was nuts. Mom and grandma would have loved it. They were dancing and clapping... the 'amen's' .. the whole nine yards. Our stake president spoke on revelation afterwards.. and I don't want to be rude, but it was super boring. Then their pastor 'pastor nicholas' got up to speak on the same thing.. Let's just say it was interactive. They had a question and answer session after he spoke. Did you know baptists believe we are already saved? I think I knew that.. but just never really thought about it. They have a sweet choir and are already saved.. sign me up.

That was the week (william came to church yesterday and did NOT like what the baptist pastor had to say... bonus.). I love you all and keep you in my prayers!
Love, Elder Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment