Monday, June 20, 2011

Me and the police....June 13, 2011

Samuel Cottrell to me
show details Jun 13 (7 days ago)
Hey everyone, sorry it's been a while. Look for more pictures in the next couple of weeks - it's been a good one:
Tuesday 6-7-11
Today I went on splits with Elder Western. He's from Denton, TX - he's a pretty cool guy and we get along for sure. Today was my walking day - he's been in a car his whole mission - lets just say he was pretty sore when we got through with 'the route'. On our way to meet a referral we were stopped by a man outside of an industrious building - he brought us inside a maze of a factory - turns out he is LDS and wants to take us to lunch next tuesday. It was awesome to talk to another member of the church that we hadn't met. We talked to a ton of people today - quite a few of them where referrals I had to give to the Spanish Elders. Bummer - atleast they're getting taught. We talked to my bro Joseph Tanuvasa - he's officially engaged now - not that anyone cares ha. He's a good friend though. We walked into compton to see Latonya after we had a good talk with a lady at the bus stop. We watched Reflections of Christ with her - twice. Her house is crazy - her mother-in-law has alsheimers and her daughter is handicapped. I really felt for her, she was struggling pretty bad - but finally could relax and just watch the slideshow. I could tell that it brought her alot of peace. We started for the apartment at about 9:15 - it would have taken us an hour to get back but a police officer pulled us over and called us crazy - he told us to hop in. That was fun to get a ride back to the apartment in a police car. I can only imagine what the people thought that saw us get out.
6-8-11
Elder Allred and I saw a less-active member in Carson today - we have tried to set aside two days a week to go into Carson for the whole day - since it's so far away. We watched the slideshow with her as well - it didn't go as well as last night did - she was in a big rush. She hasn't been to church in the last couple of years and we haven't had a chance to find out why. We met with Levi - who just came back from his mission early - we're really working with him to get him back out asap. He's in much of the same situation I was. The thing I seem to be telling him most is 'get close to your parents, they are smarter than you'. Truth. We visited some other members and then rode the long ride to the church for correllation.
6-9-11
Today I woke up sick. I have a head cold - I think i'm not eating healthy enough ha. I'm definately eating - just not healthily. We met with a member that just moved here from Montibelo - she was baptized 2 months ago and is looking for work. She has the sweetest 2 year old - (besides my neices) that i've ever honestly seen - her name is Telula. I'll send some pictures. Sister Kershner - she is who just moved - made us some pusole (basically a mexican stew) that I reallllly enjoyed after not eating it for so long. She's got some trials for sure and sounds like she had a rough time in her old ward but she's excited to be here with us now. We taught Keiara - a new referral - on her porch. She's 18 and hasn't been to church her whole life. Her grandma is a hardcore J.W. and that's all she knows about the bible, God, etc. She's very interested though and seems to really embrace what we teach. We ate dinner at Rascals with the Tauefa's - game 5 was on in the restraunt - that was a temptation to watch. The food was good haha.
6-10-11
Still have my cold but we went to the trainings anyway. They went pretty alright - we went to Johnny Rockets' afterwards for lunch. I tried to get some rest before our appointment later that night. We were meeting with a guy that I have seen at church every week since i've been here - but I just found out he isn't a member. We had a great lesson with him - he PROMISED he is going to get baptized. We have a mission-wide goal of every companionship baptizing this month. I think we just found ours. I'm really excited about that. I've been praying super hard for that blessing. On our way to the appointment I got a phone call saying that I was about to receive a vehicle. As mom would say "praise the Lord".
6-11-11
I took a series of hot and cold baths/showers to try and rid myself of this cold. I got in some more studying and am super close to finishing Jesus The Christ. We had a great lesson with 83 yr old Lucinda - she's awesome. She has been taught for over a year - we've just got to get her to commit. After the lesson she told us how she was born in 1928 and everything that's happened since. Some people don't enjoy that, but I really find it fascinating. We had Lumpia with the Vilalon's - and Balut... I dunno if grandma and grandpa ever had balut, but I sure wont have it again. It is, in essence, a baby chick inside of an egg. And you eat it. All of it. Look it up on the net or wait for my video and pictures - mom will have a fit. The lumpia was great though ha.
6-12-11
Today at church sister kershner came, and even brought a friend. They are both from Beliz - very humble and kind people. They really enjoyed the service. Myself and the 3 other missionaries taught the Gospel Principles class. We each took ten minutes and taught one of the standard works. I taught about the Doctrine and Covenants. I didn't know that at first it was called "The book of Commandments" - that makes perfect sense. It was interesting to study more about D&C - I really enjoyed it. We ate dinner with the White's and had a good message with them. I can't remember if I ever wrote this, but a couple of weeks ago I saw a homeless lady and wanted to help her out. I offered her an un-opened bottle of water I was carrying in my backpack. She looked at it and said "I don't drink Sparklett's" ... 'uhh... have a nice day then!' haha I couldnt' believe it. Oh well.
 
That was the week - pray for Eddie and Lucinda! Thank you for your love and prayers - i'm definately feeling them. Have a good week! 
Love,
Elder Cottrell 

No comments:

Post a Comment