Monday, June 6, 2011

Letter/Testimony 6-6-11

The week was really good - lots and lots of fishing but some very cool experiences. Thank you for bearing your testimony to me - it means alot. Like I said before - sometimes its tough with all of the oppostition here - but I know I have a strong foundation.

I have a testimony of conversion. Not only a testimony that it is possible, but that it effects everyone around us - if we let it. I know that we are all converts. Some of us converted when we were baptized at 8, some of us later in life - but at some point, we all received direct revelation from God that this, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is His one and only true church. Here in L.A. if you drive 3 blocks in any direction, you're bound to pass a few different churches. Which one is true? Any of them? All of them? There is only one way to know. Part of 'praying with real intent', as stated in Moroni, is promising God that once you receive that answer - that this is His true church - you will do everything in your power to build His kingdom here on the earth. The phrase "every member a missionary" did not come out of the air - it came straight from the scriptures - straight from the Lord. Part of our duty as members of the ONE TRUE CHURCH ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH is to share our testimony with others and give "every ear" a chance to hear this life-changing message. I promise you that as we reach out to the less fortunate, the less privelaged people in our daily lives, we will be blessed beyond comprehension. The Lord has promised it; and He cannot lie - but "if ye do not what I say, ye have no promise". "Let us all stand a little taller" and share this amazing light that has been given to us. You will never regret, nor will I, taking the time out of your busy life to lift someone higher than they have ever been before. I know the Lord has sent us all to the earth at this point and time for a purpose. We are the elect; we are the special souls capable of spreading this message. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Not alot of time again this week - sorry. I do want to share an experience I had yesterday though. As we were riding our bikes to an appointment I was going over all of the cool experiences i've had so far on my mission and those of other missionaries - at that exact moment, a guy rode his bike up to the side of me. He was probably about 40. He said "you guys just getting off of work? what are you doing?" I told him that we are missionaries - he asked "oh no, not missionaries of God are you?" I said yes "what do you get from that?" he asked - I told him that there is no greater joy than helping those around us - I asked him if he felt good when he helped others too. "I dont know man, but i'm drunk and heading to meet up with the dope man. I just got paid and have a few days off so this is what i'm going to do to relax. I don't want to do it though, can you tell me something that will make me stop?" We pulled over to the curb at this point. I asked him about his family - he said he has 3 kids. He told me that he just got out of rehab and felt like he was about to relapse. I explained why I was serving a mission. The drug dealer called while we were talking - he put the phone on speaker phone - "where you at?" the dealer said - "i'm right here, give me a few minutes" - he hung up the phone and swore - I could see him fighting the angels and devils inside him - one telling him to go buy the dope, one telling him to listen to us. He wouldn't admit that he was addicted, but wouldn't turn away from the idea of doing it. We talked with him about families - about the example he is setting to his children everyday - whether they know what he's doing, or not. He asked for our information and turned around. He wants us to come back next week. He recognized that God put us in his path for a reason. I know that God is watching over us all - He knows what we need and will take care of us as we turn to Him for help - not things of the world. I love you all - have a great week!
Love,
Elder Cottrell
p.s. The other day I had the rare opportunity to go on splits with an Elder in the ASL program - sign language. He can hear, but with an artaficial aid. Their area is the whole mission + long beach. It was such a crazy experience. I just sat there in the appointments and observed. I didnt learn much - but I could feel the spirit. It's amazing to meet these people that are deaf - but are still members of the church. The spirit testifies to them that this is the true church. That was another neat experience I had this last week. Hopefully next week I'll have time to write my usual letter and tell you all about the week. I love you
Elder Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment