Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chorizo, what?

2-1-11 Tuesday
Good to have January gone and a new month here. Today we started off by trying to contact a referral that wasn't home. We ran into a girl that claimed she had been baptized into the church many years ago along with her sisters. She didn't know her address and didn't have a phone so we gave her our number and prayed she would call us. We taught the Galeas' about Lehi's dream and applied it to the interpritation. We had a really good lesson with someone we recently contacted - Corrina. She's 18, single and has a 2 year old. We taught her on her porch outside - she was really interested. I gave her a B.OM. with "Kim"s testimony in the front of it. For lunch we tried to make some Mexican Sausage - it is called Chorizo and is made from cow cheek, fat, tongue, and glands. We did something wrong and it basically just melted on the pan. We later found out that you have to mix eggs with it to soak up the grease. Yum. We talked to a former investigator - Luis. He told us about his friend that is in jail for 20 yrs. He went to visit him recently - it makes me sick to think about his wife and kids at home. I'm so grateful for the Gospel and knowing that everyone has the chance to change.
2-2-11
Did some more looking around - we talked to a lady named Esther that I gave a B.O.M. to last week. She is really interested and says that she believes what we teach her. We stand on her porch and talk to her through a 'ghetto door' - metal with holes in them - every house here has one. It was a pretty warm day - I got a Respaldo (sort of mexican snow cone) from a guy on the street- it definitely hit the spot) We ate dinner with Jennifer and Dennis - Dennis committed to live the word of wisdom. We talked with Ricardo - a new investigator - he was drunk so we told him we'd come back another day. We taught an inactive member about the B.O.M. - she admits she's just lazy. Bummer. We ate dinner again at El Tapatio with a member getting ready for his mission. I kicked my companions butt in a push-up contest as well. That was nice.
2-3-11
We vistited with Esther again today - she is going to get baptized some day soon i'm sure of it. It was a great lesson. For lunch I made some good Mexican food - you'd all be proud. We did weekly planning and then left to teach a new investigator. It was hot outside, and I was super tired - but I kept goin. We used a DVD to teach the plan of salvation to the Arana's. It went really well - then we talked with Jave - he's still having alot of struggles.
2-4-11
Today we had our Distrcit Meeting - it went pretty well. I'm so sick of meetings. But they do help in the long run I imagine. Our best appointment for the week canceled on us. We were really bummed about that. We taught Ricardo and he asked about Geneology - he got really excited when we told him how big the program is in the church - looks like we'll go to the Visitors Center next week and help him out with it. We were almost to Lalo's house when my chain broke. What in the world?? We taught him and then Dennis came to pick us up with his truck. We went to his place and taught him Chastity - funnnn. Tonight I woke up at 1 a.m. to Elder Watkins sitting indian style on his bed, reciting the missionary purpose in his sleep. I asked him what he was doing and he woke up - he had no idea what was going on. We are working so hard that we talk about it in our sleep. Litterally.
2-5-11
Correllation was canceled - surpise! We walked my bike to the shop and I bought a new chain - $30. Better not break. Every single plan we had for today fell through. So we did alot of looking around. A LOT. Our dinner appointment wasn't at home with his wife so we couldn't eat in the house - she gave us tacos and we took them to the park and ate them there - the park is super nice. It reminded me of home a little bit. We watched Finding Faith In Christ with Jave and his sister - we wanted it to be really special but they just talked the whole time. Fail. Bro. Vailladares gave us some pears off of his tree today and we ate them while we talked. That was.. pleasant.
2-6-11
Today we woke up to a cloud around us. It was really really foggy. Ricardo and his G.F. came to church today and LOVED it. I was super excited for them - it'll be awesome to talk to them more about it this week. We had dinner with some members - it was really good. Then we walked around and did some looking. EVERYONE was watching or listening to the super bowl. It made me miss home and I felt like a nuisance to those we talked to. BBQ, football, family - that was a tough one. Luckily we went to the departing missionary fireside early so Elder Watkins could practice the piano - he played for some leaving missionaries. It was a great night - I saw some members I haven't seen in a long time from Carson that are very very dear to my heart.
 
That's it! Hope you enjoyed it. I love you all, have a good week!
Elder Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment