Monday, January 10, 2011

Pants, chains, tires, oh my!

Samuel Cottrell

 to me
show details 2:20 PM (1 hour ago)
Hey everyone, i've found out that prayer really works. Look into it. ;)
Tuesday 1-4-10
Today I learned that my companion has a weird fettish for ... maps. ? Anyway, we rode our bikes all over our area today and talked to probably a billion people. We stopped to talk to a black guy that was in his truck on his lunch break, reading the bible. He was kind enough to teach us 'the truth'. I've changed the missionary jargon - everyone say's "let's go finding" when talking about tracting. I've got a good number of missionaries now saying "lets go look". Thought you'd be proud to see my leadership skills in that area. After being rejected by one door in an apartment complex we went to knock on the one next to it, when the man we had just talked to said, "hey, ... the people that live there are black. Just so you know." I was laughing when the African American man opened the door. He wasn't interested. We ate lunch at Tom's - my new favorite squeeze in the area. Today was really really pretty - the sun was finally out and the sky was clear from the rain that helped wash out all of the pollution for maybe 10 hours until it went back to normal. I got a new front tire today - it RIPPED as I was riding home. That was neat.
1-5-10
Still working very hard. Never a dull second in our day. We found a member that is actually working as a volunteer in LDS employment services. But he was smoking when we rolled up. His wife is inactive, and i'm pretty sure he is too - he just say's he's going to another ward at the moment. He said he went on a mission to Spain many years ago - he really reminds me of Franco from Carson. He said he wants to take us to dinner on Saturday to an Italian restaurant because he 'never eats anything but seafood' and 'hasn't drank any water in 20 years'... ? Anyway, I hope he takes us out! We ate dinner at Lalo's. I love the beans, rice and tortillas that are with every meal we eat here. I'm going to have to introduce that more to the family when I get home. My Spanish is pretty rough - but i'm continuing to learn. It's been good to study every morning and apply what I learned throughout the day.
1-6-10
Today we weekly planned till 3. We had a bunch of appointments and were really excited about them - none were home. So we had the great opportunity to 'look' around some neighborhoods for some new people! Almost everyone that we talked to, actually listened. A couple even let us into their home, gave us food and water and read with us in The Book of Mormon. It was so cool, we have steep hopes for that family. 3 others that we talked to tonight want us to come back and teach them more. We made a goal for the week to talk to atleast 10 new people a day about the Gospel. That was fun to try and out-do each other. We ended up with about 20. We taught the Arana's about faith - Jackie texted us later and said that she wants to go on a mission! That would be a miracle for that family no doubt! They're one of my favorites in this area hands down.
1-7-10
Last night I shot a confetti popper at Elder Watkins while he was cooking. It was weird because his voice changed in a split second from low to really high once I did it. ? It's been fun to scare my companions like I always did at home. I love going to be laughing. Today we had MORE trainings with the zone. The same ones that i've talked about in previous letters. They're from 10 30 to 3 every friday for the transfer. Luckily today's went by pretty fast. It's just a big review really - I can't complain though, the spirit is there. We went and looked around Jennifer and Dennis' apartment. From door contacts in 1 hour we taught 2 lessons and got 3 new investigators. (we had a goal of 7 new investigators for the week, and ended up with 14) We taught Brian (jennifer's kid) about the importance of seminary - they were our dinner appointment but forgot about it. We went to visit the Recinos' - she must have known we were hungry. She fed us really good food, I was super grateful for that. Her 3 yr old son drank bubble bath while we were there... So that was fun. On my way home we were at a stop sign and Jave's dad pulled up next to me. I asked him if he wanted to race... I peddled maybe 3 times and then my chain snapped. He won.
1-8-10
Today I woke up not feeling too well. At 12, when we went to leave, I realized that my chain was still broken. So we walked to the shop from our house - a couple miles away - and got it fixed. For the next couple of hours no one that we went to see were home - we went to see Gabriel and make sure that he was still ok to take us to dinner tonight. He's a funny guy. We visited a refferal that we recently received - Darin. He was really nice and really talkative. He's about 45, latino, just had his first 'communion' last week, and really outgoing. He was nice enough to give us some fruit and water - he want's us to come back and teach him and his family. I could see them in white for sure! We rode our bikes to the corner of Tweedy and Otis to meet Gabriel at an Italian restraurant for dinner. I didn't know if he'd show up or not but sure enough he was there. It was a hole-in-the-wall kind of place but really really good. I ended up eating pizza. A whole one. Gabriel is going to 'transfer back to our ward'... We went back to the Arana's tonight, we taught Jackie, Carla, their friend Ashley, and Brother Arana about repentance. It was such a good lesson -  I hope they come to church tomorrow! On our way home my pants got ripped in my chain. I realized that this happened on the exact stretch of road where I have had 2 flat tires, and a broken chain. I'm cursed.
1-9-10
Church day - nice. My companion plays the hymns in all of the meetings - you'd think there would be someone in the ward that could play.. nope. Church was good, Jackie came - no one else though. I am really starting to see a change and a new desire in her. It's awesome to witness. After church I made a hot dog. And ate it. We taught this family that we 'looked' into the other night. We taught them the restoration - we'd teach in spanish for her and english for her kids. It ... went... terrible. They weren't responsive, my spanish and mind was locked, I didn't feel very well. I just wanted to get out of there. I really hope that they felt something though, I don't know what was going on. We talked with Tony - a former investigator. He's getting surgery tomorrow on his shoulder so we wont be able to see him again for a minute. He's really nice though and seems super interested. We ate dinner with the Morales family. We taught the kids about the wise man and the foolish man. It was a really good lesson - their kids are smarrrrt. We talked with Maria, who lives in the same complex as Jennifer and Dennis - she's so so cool. She works about 60 hours a week though and can't get sunday's off. I know that if there is some way she can get to church, she would be baptized. She knows it's true... I pray that something changes at her work so she can come. We went to see a former investigator - a boyfriend answered the door - turns out he's training to be a pastor. That was a fun conversation. He just kept trying to prove us wrong. I was boiling. All of the sudden while he was saying something about our church I just said kind of loudly "can we please clear some stuff up for you!?" He looked at me kind of shocked and said yes. I taught him the first lesson - he kept trying to butt in but I just kept talking. I testified that what we were teaching was the truth and the only truth. I said 'amen. thank you for your time' and left. I was really proud of myself for not getting too upset. It was a hard situation. Oh well, I hope he finds out the truth someday before the world ends in 2012!! ;) jk.
 
Well that was my week, I love you all! Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment