Monday, January 23, 2012

Bell Lap round

Tuesday 1-17-12
Today we had our last meeting with Hua - that was kind of sad. He was pretty upset about it. We went to his apartment and just sat at his table for a few minutes. He said 'well, what are we going to talk about for the last time?' we paused for a minute and said 'well, what do you think?' he sat there for a long time and then said 'you want me to get baptized' and then smiled. We laughed and said 'yes'. He sat for a long time again, thinking of what to say. I said, 'Hua, why do you think we've been meeting you week after week, month after month? Honestly, why?' he sat for a moment and looked at me in the eyes and said 'because you care about me'. In that moment, I knew that I had done my job in teaching him the truth and being a good representative of Jesus Christ. He promised to let me know if he will be baptized next month by the end of January. He's so close..
 
1-18-12
Today at service I pushed around a guy in his wheel chair named Allen Daviau - he helped on some big movies like E.T. and Van Helsing. He was pretty fun to talk to while we walked. He weighed probably a ton though. We had a lesson with Hector - he's so kind and humble. He is just really nervous what his wife would think if he and his son were baptized. It's a hard situation to give counsel on.
 
1-19-12
We had a meeting with the district leaders today to discuss the zone goal for february. We are going to do an awesome thing with Gatorade. Gatorade has a 3 part system to their product - Prepare, Perform and Recover. We are taking these things and using them in missionary work. It'll be really cool once we're done. We did some weekly planning - I was sitting there thinking of my purpose as a missionary.. Thinking about times i've trusted in the Spirit completely and just did 'what I thought was right'. I came to the conclusion that I was a representative of Jesus Christ and that if I have enough faith, I can help to convert anyone. And I mean anyone. I put down my pencil and told my companion that we were going to find someone to teach in the next 5 minutes. He looked at me kind of funny and said 'o.k.'. I said, 'I promise, the first person we talk to WILL accept a return appointment and meet with us.' He kind of laughed and put on his jacket. We left the lights on and our planning material on the table - I told him that we'd be back in just a minute. We walked across the street and knocked on 5 doors un-answered. The 6th door I knocked on, opened up. A lady talked to me in a broken accent through her screen door. I stated who I was boldly, and said that I was there to help. She said she was busy - I stopped her and told her that we just wanted to help. She sat there looking at me for a moment and then finally told me that I could come back tomorrow at 7 o'clock. I was so excited I couldn't even stand it. As I passed my companion to walk down the stairs, I saw my companions jaw dropped - I laughed and said "I told you!" - he said 'there's a good journal entry' and then that his faith was just strengthened and was sad that he didn't fully trust me in the first place. It was an awesome experience that helped me to recognize who I really am and the calling that God has entrusted me with. I know that throughout my mission i've learned many important things. The two most important things I believe I have learned is 1. To serve selfslessly - God and His children. To be willing to give up absolutely anything to show your love for the people that you don't even know, and for God - who you only communicate with through prayer and the Spirit. "Greater love hath no man than he, who lay down his life for his friends.' You must trust in Him and your calling as a son or daughter in His one true church. 2. Be grateful for what you have. And share it. Everything. Dedicate absolutely everything you have to building up the kingdom of Heaven here on earth. It is the most difficult thing to do I believe. We become content with what we have and begin to want more. We want what we cannot have - or more like, we want what God has not included His plan for us at that particular time in our lives. It all comes back to trusting in Him and being able to be humble and teachable enough to let Him mold you into what He knows is best for you. I know these things to be true. To add in a 3rd one - learn from your mistakes. God let those things happen to you for a reason - and it's NOT to make you weak. Atleast not for very long. Make your weak things strong by turning yourself over to the Lord.
 
I have to go now - but the rest of the week went very well - lots of fishing and trainings. I love you all and will talk to you soon!
Love, Elder Sam Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment