Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Transfer letter 5-16-11

Tuesday 5-10-11
Today we saw Maria-under-freeway with sister munoz - actually we tried to see her but she wasn't home. Sister Munoz predicted (received and answer to her prayers) that I was getting transferred so she bought me a gift. That lady is the most in-tune with the spirit out of many people that I know and have met. We made a tabacco tea for Leo to quit smoking. We boiled water and broke up his ciggarette's inside of it. We strained it and made him drink it all. He thought he was going to have a heart attack - that would have been interesting. He was ok though - I hope he quits. We went to go to a lesson with Sister Cortez but Cecilia wasn't home. We had a good lesson with Ivett and I said goodbye to her. We had 'the last supper' with the Recinos' family. That was a good way to end my time in Lynwood and South Gate.
5-11-11
Made my way over to Gardena where i'll be helping with the singles ward at El Camino College and the family ward Gardena. My companion is Elder Allred from Rigby, ID and just got here to the mission. He's probably one of the most humble kids i've met. I really think I'll enjoy my time with him. We spent a good deal of the day cleaning out the apartment because the Elder that was there before, just went home and left a ton of crap. Nice. I still don't have a bike so we walked to the area - which we live a mile or so away from. I live on Normandie and our border starts at the 110 freeway. We went to some Samoan members' house - I have really missed the Island people. I almost forgot how amazing they are - they took us right in, cleared the table and made us food. That was awesome and a great welcome to the area. I cover mostly Compton and the top part of Carson. My area is HUGE and I don't even have a bike. Bummer. We talked with a less active member that had a stroke - he can understand everything you say but just can't get words out of his mouth. It's really sad and you can tell the frustration he has from this great ailment. His name is T.A.. I'm borrowing a bike from another missionary until monday when I can get a new one. Good first day in the new area.
5-12-11
We did some planning today until 12:30 and then rode our bikes to 'feast and feast' at the El Camino College institute. Every thursday they play a talk (feed your mind) and give you food (and your stomach). It was good to see some of the kids from the former wards i've served in. We rode some members that live in our area but go to the Carson ward - the lei's - you might remember me mentioning them a year ago. Levi went on a mission to Chicago 6 months ago. When I knocked on the door, he answered. I wasn't expecting to see him, as you can imagine. He's home for a while - trying to do the same thing I did. I promised to help him in any way I could to get back asap. We taught a really stubborn less active kid - believes in the BOM and Bible but doesn't believe in organized religion... ? Doesn't make sense. We'll see if we can fix that. James had his baptismal interview tonight and passed - we had dinner at his house afterwards. It was a good day.
5-13-11
Today we had trainings with the zone. Elder Ferrin - one of my old companions- is in my zone. It's good to see him again. The trainings were good and we all ate at the mall afterwards. We did some fishing in Compton afterwards. The first door I knocked on was a black lady that said she sings in her own church - I asked her to sing. She sang for us through the ghetto door. It was really cool. We biked to our dinner appointment with some members - the Davidsons. That was a good time - Brother Davidson can talk. Probably forever. My area is way too big to cover just on a bike. But i'm way glad to be back in this 'hood'.
5-14-11
Today we fished. A lot. It was good - we have a couple referrals we've been trying to contact. We met with a less active samoan girl that fed us some lunch - I dont have any food since I just got to this area and haven't had a chance to shop. We taught about 10 kids outside of an inactive members' house for about an hour. That was pretty alright - they were all under the age of 12. We finished teaching James - who will be baptized this sunday - and watched Reflections of Christ with his family. James has a pretty amazing story. He's covered in tatoo's - he never met his dad and his mom died when he was 15. He joined a gang when he was 10 and has been in and out of jail. He just married Monique - an inactive member. The missionaries have been teaching them all and he is now getting baptized. Awesome.
5-15-11
Church was good today - we went to Sacrament at the institute for the YSA ward and then headed over to the Artesia building to sit in on the Gardena wards' service. That ward is... something else. That's all i'll say. By far the most intersting ward I have ever even visited. I threw together a baptismal program and filled up the font. We had the service for James at 5:30. It went pretty well, seeing as how I pretty much had to 'wing' everything - not knowing anyone in the ward 'n all. It was good though - you couldn't pay James to take the smile off of his face. When it was over, his wife said "we want to get married in the temple" then James said "we ARE getting married in the temple." I'm really glad I had the chnace to be apart of that great day for him. We ate dinner afterwards at the Parke's home. They were having a family party and it was super awkward. We walked home afterwards and contacted some people - it rained last night and it kinda chilly - never the less, still SUPER happy to be back in these woods.
 
Happy birthday Grandpa! I hope you had a good day - keep on keepin' on.
I love you all and hope you have a great week
Elder Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment