Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm a passin' out missionary....


Tuesday 3-22-11
Today we talked - I enjoy it alot more than riding bikes. We didn't have any appointments so we just fished the whole day. We found 4 new investigators that i'm really excited to teach. We visited Sister Recinos' and talked on her porch with her and her kids - we read in Ether, she gave us hot chocolate and cookies. She's a really strong member of the Church already. We ate at El Pescador with Hector tonight - it was sooo much food and really good. Seafood. He's getting ready for a mission - he'll be great. I keep seeing shooting stars here in L.A.. Real big ones. This is probably the last place I thought i'd see those. Tonight we found out that Alejandro passed away last week - his family is struggling but know's he is in a better place and can finally rest.
 
3-23-11
Today it rained. Hard. I really can't get over how weird the weather is here. We taught a lady that we found yesterday under the 405 freeway in a little house with Sister Munoz (jennifer). It was a great lesson - Sister Munoz did an awesome job of helping us out. We rode all the way up to Atlantic and Southern to eat at "Chucks" chinese food with Sister Morffi - somehow she told us about a Bollywood movie for about a half hour. Dunno how that happened. She gets distracted easily. We taught her humility - she's really gotta come back to church. We rode back down to talk to Rafaela and her daughter Alicia - they weren't home but we taught Jesus - Alicia's 18 yr old son. He's awesome - we watched the restoration dvd and he said he'll be baptized when he know's its true. I think we could baptize that whole family. We had a good lesson with Jose Jennifer and Norma on the foundation of our lives and the church. They're soooo stinkin funny. I'll miss them for sure.
 
3-24-11
13 Months today. Yikes. Time is really flying. We ate lunch at Panda House - reminds me of Lucky China a little. We fished a trailor park with no immediate success - tried to see maria under the freeway again - wasn't home. Rode home in the rain and planned for a few hours. Talked to Teresa and her boyfriend - had a really good lesson - teressa is less active - boyfriend not a member. Her boyfriend said he'll get baptized when he knows it's true. It was a good lesson. Heard byu lost in OT - got really depressed - brought cookies to dinner with Sis. Munoz to thank her for her help. We watched Reflections of Christ - the slideshow - suuuuper good. It was a good day - besides the heart break of byu.
 
3-25-11
After District meeting today we ate at Fatburger and Coldstone. We met with Anthony - still having a hard time understanding the language in the BOM. He's had a rough past in a neighborhood gang and can't leave his porch unless a car is waiting for him in front of his house. We visited a referral - she has 8 kids - talked about prayer - she's awesome. Very interested - perfect person to teach. We talked to Patrice for a bit and met a couple of her very interesting friends. We met with Rafaela and Alicia and taught them the Restoration - twice. They have a hard time grasping things. We ate at the Ramirez home - we watched Reflections of Christ with them as well - i'll be using that alot more I think - it's really powerful. Still raining today.
 
3-26-11
Overcast weather. I made friends with a big pitbull so it would let me walk inside the gate 20 yards to the front door - E. Watkins would come in. It was a referral and wasn't even home - I was terrified this dog was gonna kill me. I made it out alright. We met with another referral - he is also really interested - it's been such a successful week. We taught Pablo in his car because of the rain - he is very interested - he wants to change and make the steps neccessary in order to be baptized and "commit for life" as he put it. Awesome. We ate dinner at an investigators home - the Juarez family - it was a girls birthday so there was a ton of food and dancing - we ate, got another referral from some family there - and then left. It was effective. We talked to Javier- his aunt passed away and he's been struggling. He really need the Gospel back in his life.
 
3-27-11
Craziest day of my mission - probably.
Last night I set E. Watkins alarm for 2:30 am. to see if he'd wake up and start getting ready - unsuccessful. He just turned it off. We went super early to church for correllation and then I just listened to E. Watkins play the organ while we waited for church to start. We had 7 confirmations in the ward today - 3 of them were form us - jose norma and jennifer. Awesome. The work is really really picking up. My stomach started to hurt in the 3rd hour. Not good. We went to the apartment after church and I laid down for a while. I decided we could go out to a lesson at 3, not too far away. We rode over there very slowly - Jennifer Munoz was coming to help us - she brought 2 other members and her kids - ...... 9 people in this tiny tiny living room at Rafaela's and Alicia's place. The lesson wasn't going very well - my stomach was hurting bad - they were kind of arguing. I turned to E. Watkins and said "I think i'm gonna pass out" - I was feeling very dizzy and light headed. He put his hand on my shoulder and looked at Brother Piscil to signal that I wasn't ok. I passed out. When I woke up I was on the ground with a bunch of people yelling over me. Later Elder Watkins told me that Sister Munoz came over to my chair and started punching my chest and stomach - as to give me the heimlich - then he gave me a blessing and she put her hand on my head - he took it off. She was blessing me anyway, im sure Alicia and Rafaela were thinking "what in the world.. "? While I was out, Jesus called an ambulance. I got up and sat on the couch - still pretty out of it. Sis. Munoz was still kind of 'chanting' things.. really awkward. She's been a member for just over a year. She's soooo awesome. The fire dept. came - took my blood sugar and pulse, etc. I told them I was fine. They left after a little while. Dr. Lyman - the mission Dr. - came from Santa Monica to check on me. They spoon fed me soup, soda and crackers. I realized I had only eaten a little applesauce today. Woops. Dr. Lyman got there and said I was fine but I probably shouldnt fast anymore because of my disorder. Before we left, Rafaela held my hand and said "I am going to get baptized. Very soon. And I want you to do it" of course in spanish. I was sooo happy, even though I could barely open my eyes. Bro. Piscil took us to our apartment - sis flores and jennifers son rode our bikes back - sis flores is 56. haha. It was such a cool experience - sounds crazy. The members love us so much. They went and bought us groceries, and other food that night. Amazing. I couldn't believe their kindness - these people really have NOTHING and they sacrificed everything for me. A really big testimony builder. I am feeling so much better now - blessings and faith work. I love you all, don't worry i'm fine.
Have a good week!
Love,
Elder Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment