Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas WEEK 12-21 to 12-27-10

Samuel Cottrell

 
show details 12:52 PM (1 hour ago)
Merry Christmas last week everyone, It was good to see alot of you on Skype! Thank you all for your love, support, cards and gifts. It all means so much to me. Looking forward to a new year here in L.A.
 
Tuesday 12-21-10
Today after Email I went on splits with Elder Bluth over to the same area I was with Elder Weir - Watts/South Central L.A. We tracted quite a bit and had dinner with a member. We taught some odd people in Watts that had questions about "666" and having a micro chip placed inside of you in order to be able to buy or sell things... ? In spanish none the less. That was fun. We went to the South Gate building and had the baptism interviews for Sister Recinos and her daughter. They passed. Bonus!
Wednesday-
After I got home from splits, Elder Ferrin and I went to visit and eat lunch with Sister Rivas. Her two grandkids were there and it started to storm really hard. One of them, Daniel (9), got scared and asked us to make it stop. We told him that we could - and it stopped. He got pretty scared after that. It started up again and once more he asked us, "make it stop please". We asked him if he had faith that he could make it stop. At first he said no, but after teaching him about faith, he agreed and said yes. We told him to pray and ask God to make it stop. He did. It stopped. It was pretty awesome. But the moment that we left the house, it started again. Really really hard. Probably harder than i've ever seen it rain anywhere. We had the joy of riding our bikes home from there. There were rivers in the streets - everyone was looking at us like "what are those two white kids doing in the rain?". We were completely soaked within 20 seconds of being on our bikes. It was fun. We talked to Dennis and then went home to make sure our ceiling wasn't leaking harder than usual.
Thursday-
Today it finally stopped raining. We ate lunch again with Sister Rivas and she gave me a tie for Christmas. That was really nice of her. We talked with Sister Recinos and I bought some new church shoes - mine were completely soaked. We visited a few more people and then ordered a pizza at home. Not alot of people were available today - they all went back to Mexico to visit family for the Holidays.
Friday-
Today we woke up way early and the Sisters came to pick us up. We went to the Westwood building behind the temple for a Christmas devotional with the whole mission. It was all musical numbers and really nice to just listen to. I said goodbye to all of my buddies leaving next week - they'll do good in life. Jennifer cut my hair after . We were riding to our next appointment, running late, and my chain snapped. We had a long ways to go and were going to have to walk. I looked up and right there was a bike shop - open at 6 pm on Christmas Eve - definitely a blessing. I was able to buy a chain and be back on our way in less than 5 minutes. We ate dinner with the Pena's and had ponche - basically what you boil at home to make your house smell good - and then headed to Jave's. Mexicans celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve - so we thought we were eating with them on the 25th... but they meant the 24th. So we had two dinners. It was really good. I called home to set up a time to call tomorrow and Dad answered - they were in a movie. Nice.
Saturday-
Christmas today - I woke up and opened the presents I got in the mail yesterday - I got a good load no doubt! After messing around with it all, we got ready and went downtown to the same place we went for Thanksgiving and sang again. That has been a really good experience both opportunities i've had to do it. We ate lunch with the Sisters at Denny's and saw Maria there. We went to the Arana's next and I was able to use their computer to Skype home with the whole family. It was awesome to see them all! The kids are getting big... it's nuts. After I talked with them for an hour we ate at Jave's again and then headed home so Elder Ferrin could call home.
Sunday-
The day after Christmas is always kind of a bitter sweet - sad that the holiday is over, glad that you're not stressed anymore. Lucky for me, we had two baptisms today that I was focused on. The printer in the church wasn't working so we weren't able to print a program for the baptism - that was a real bummer. We just wrote it on the chalkboard for everyone to see. I baptized Sister Recinos and Elder Ferrin baptized her daughter. It was the first one i've done in Spanish so it was pretty awesome. They were so happy - I can't even describe the feeling you get when you have that experience. Afterwards we ate AGAIN with Jave. Tonight after planning we played table football. I beat Elder Ferrin 102-21. It was really funny.
Monday-
P-day today. We went to Tom's Burgers for lunch so I could get another Colosal burger and then went to Radio Shack. We both bought remote control helicopters. We went home and figured them out until 6. They're way fun. I flew a rude note to Elder Ferrin while he was writing a letter, he read it and was about to say something mean when I turned the helicopter on again from across the room and it flew up, the blade chopped him right on his... chest. I laughed for a good while. We took Joy to the World to a referral that asked for it. He seems like a really nice guy - I hope we have the chance to teach him.
 
Well tomorrow is transfers - guess we'll see what happens. I'm not expecting anything to change. I love you all and hope you have a fun and safe New Year's!
Love, Elder Cottrell
 

No comments:

Post a Comment