Monday, September 27, 2010

Broken finger! Sept. 21, 2010

Hey hows it goin? 
Wednesday-
We walked over to sister Green's house - i'm sure i've mentioned her before- oldest and only white lady in Wilmington and has been feeding the missionaries for the last 20 years. We always love going over there, sharing a message and listening to the stories she has for us about other missionaries, her family or the history of the city. I called every member that lives in Wilmington to try and get some kind of help - maybe a referral, a visit or anything. Only 2 of the 20 answered and they were busy. Bummer. The Samoan kid 'guppy' that cut my hair real nice a few months back cut my hair again so I look like his samoan buddies. Nice. Later he invited us to a bbq at one of his friends' churches. It was just a bunch of highschool kids so it was a good chance to clear up anything they might have heard about the church - and it was free food. Good day.
Thursday-
One of Elder Hirshbergs converts called him to ask us if we'd help him move a lady out of his house up in palos verdes. We got permission and he came to pick us up. We helped him for a couple hours and then he took us out to lunch - score. While we were walking I found a pair of Dockers on the sidewalk.. tags on and everything, just my size. They weren't dirty either.. curious right? I decided that if I washed them they'd be ok. I'm pretty happy about scoring a free pair of pants. We ate dinner at the Hannemanns - they're way sweet, i'm pretty sure i've mentioned them as well.
Friday-
District meeting - fun fun. We went to visit 3 referalls that we got from headquarters and none of them were home - bummer. We had dinner and correlation with our new ward mission leader. He just got off his mission about a year ago so he should be on top of things. We did a whole lot of walking today. It may not look like we're having much success but I know the Lord is looking out for us.
Saturday-
Walked about 5 miles to a members' house and talked with them about obeying the commandments. They have a 5 year old son that had just gotten in trouble for not cleaning his room so it was perfect ha. We tried to visit another member that we thought was close to this other house but ended up getting really really lost and far from home. We finally got back around our neck of the woods and just visited a family close by for a few minutes.
Sunday-
I talked in church on keeping covenants (I sent the talk home to you today so look for it), I thought it went pretty well but I realized I was going to have much more time to speak than they told me so I added to my talk while I was on the stand. Turned out a.o.k. We ate lunch at the apartment and then did some studying. We didn't have dinner so we went tracting. I had a few people ask me about what we were up to and was able to place a Book of Mormon. (Thank you for sending me all of those, they'll be a big help and i'll be sure to update you on who I give them to)
Monday-
p-day... We went to play football with some of the zone down by the docs. I've been wanting to play for a while really bad so I was pretty excited. After about a half hour I threw an interception- I grabbed the kid's shirt, aiming for his flags... It felt like I jammed my left ring finger a little bit but I'd still be able to play... until I looked down at it. I couldn't move it and it was bent really weird at my knuckle. All I said was 'oh dang, I broke my finger' ... it didn't hurt very bad, I was just really shocked. Elder Hodell took me to the hospital and we couldnt see a doctor for 2 hours so we just waited. I finally got in and took some xrays - they looked crazy - I took some pictures so you'll know what I mean. They gave me some shots and numbed my finger up, we filmed the doctor resetting my finger (snapping the bone back into place) -it was reallllly gross, it hurt and I almost passed out. Anyway I have to wear a little brace for the next 6 to 8 weeks. He said however that I am very lucky - that in almost every injury he's seen like this the patient had to get surgery. Luckily some of my tendon is still intact and he doesnt think i'll need surgery - that it'll just grow back. I'll go see him again on the 30th so hopefully it's still good. It's super stiff and swollen but i'm just grateful I didnt have to get the surgery. Crazy huh? We rode our bikes to the Romo's and they fed us 'real mexican food'... like I haven't had that yet.. ? Anyway it was really good but hard on my stomach since I had been pretty stressed all day and hadn't been able to eat. We had FHE and then called it a night. Fun times on the mission. I love you all and hope you have a good week!
Love, Elder Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment