Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 21, 2010

Hello! P-day today.
Well earlier in the week the whole mission started a fast and on wednesday we ended it. - The entire mission - roughly 200 missionaries - in the temple. We all did a session together and listened to our President bear his testimony (he's leaving next week). Then we broke our fast in the cafeteria there. That was such a cool experience. I saw everyone from the mtc and met a lot of new missionaries. We went to Scottsdale again later that night to visit some members - (rough area) - some teenagers were playing some football as we walked through a field and one yelled to me "Hey ya'll Mormons play ball?" I thought sure why not - he threw me the ball and we put a little drill/scrimage together. I'm not even good at football but I was that day. They were convinced I played for a college team and all got really "cool" with me. Elder Mitillo doesnt play so he was just kind of watching but it was such a cool experience. It gave me such a good opportunity to afterwards tell them all about the church. 10 or so african americans gathered around while I passed out some cards and told them why I was there. It was so much fun and they all respected us a ton. I love chances like that to share the gospel - even if it takes me to run around in my church clothes, playing football in the projects. I've had the chance to give many more blessings since the first one I told you about - it's so great to really be guided by the spirit with your words. Elder Mitillo and I went to a baptism yesterday in Hunnington Park or Little Mexico - it was so so cool. It really is like Mexico over there. We had the chance to go do some tracting there because the room was too full for the baptism - we knocked on maybe 5 doors in an hour and everyone we talked to was so so nice. The Latin people are so humble and so open in their hearts. I want to learn spanish better just for that reason -- to teach more of them and have the opportunity to serve in HP. Yesterday at church we didnt have any investigators show up - that was really hard to swallow since we have 2 with baptismal dates. I know that the Lord gives us these challenges for a reason though. It humbles us and helps us to become teachable. Our zone concentrated on being humble this last week and I got to study it extensively. There's so much more to the word than I ever knew. It gave me a greater understanding of what Christ really did for us and how I can be more like Him. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve a mission. I know that any success that I have, is the Lords success and that He put those words in my mouth to convert, He inspired me to turn around and talk to 'that last person on the street' and He is the one keeping me out here and encouraging me to keep going. Thank you all so much for your love and support - I didnt have alot of time to write today but i'll write again soon! Remember something that Dad always told me - "The grass is always greener when you water the lawn"
Love, Elder Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment